How to install Windows 10
From Windows 7/8:
What Do I Need?
To upgrade from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10 there is a very small list of must-haves. Let’s take a look at what you need before proceeding.
- An Activated Copy of Windows
- The Appropriate Windows 10 Update Tool:
- Although the Windows 10 update tool is pretty straight forward you need the right version for your hardware. The first step is determining if you are running a 32-bit machine or a 64-bit machine.
- Click the “Start” button, right-click “Computer”, and then click “Properties”. (From Windows 8 you will have to right click the “Start” button and click “System“)
- With that in mind, whatever bit-version of Windows you are running on your about-to-be-upgraded machine that is the version of the download tool you need to download if you wish to do an in-place upgrade and not a clean wipe.You can find the download tool here. Select the correct version, 32 or 64-bit, to match your current Windows installation.
- Running the Upgrade Installer
When you’re ready to upgrade run the installer tool, labeled MediaCreationTool, to get started.
- You’ll first be prompted to upgrade the PC or create installation media for another PC. Select “Upgrade this PC now” to begin the upgrade process and click “Next”. This begins the download process which is a long or short affair dependent entirely upon your Internet connection speed. We zoomed to 100 percent in a matter of minutes on a speedy cable connection, but if you’re on a slow connection you might be watching the meter for some time.
- When it finally finishes downloading and unpacking the installation media you’ll be prompted to accept the terms of the license agreement. Click “Accept” and the installer will do a final update check before kicking you over to the final confirmation page.
- By default the installer will select the largest “what to keep” selection it can. If you want to make changes to what it is keeping click the small “Change what to keep” link as seen in the screenshot above. You’ll be prompted to select to select which kind of installation you want.
- Now is the time to check on your apps, see if they survived the upgrade process (and update them if necessary) as well as to plug in your peripherals, check that all your hardware works (and update the drivers if necessary) and then get down to enjoying Windows 10.
How to activate Windows 10
How to activate Windows 10 over the telephone
to start Product Activation:
- Go to Start, then select Settings, choose Update & security, and then select Activation.
- If your device is not activated, the Activate by phone option will be available.
- Follow the on-screen instructions from there
(If prompted “How many machines have you installed this on” your answer has to be “Zero“.)
Problem not listed? Give us a call or shoot us an email – we look forward to speaking with you!